SUMATRA’S HERITAGE: ISMAILIYAH MOSQUE
The local communities know it as the palace mosque, the heritage of Tengku Haji Ismail Sulung Laut, The King of Bedagai. The mosque still stands firmly until now. Similar with the other mosques around the Malay coastal area, Jamik Ismailiyah Mosque, located in Pekan Village, Tanjung Teringin District, is full of Malay atmosphere. This mosque was built in 1882 by The King of Bedagai at that time, Tengku Ismail Sulung Laut. After building the mosque, Sulung Laut built a palace beside it and finished in 1898. Since the palace was higher, Sulung Laut raised the mosque. In 1937, the mosque was renovated. Its ceramic tiles were replaced with zinc. Last in 1982, the mosque was renovated again. Its iron pillars were changed into cement, a tower was built, and a gate was made, and adorned with “kelumai” (a yellow triangular ornament coning downward and put on the roof’s side).
Some parts remain original, such as the mimbar khutbah. This wooden mimbar still looks strong. The ornamental carving shows typical Malay characteristics, especially it was gold painted and combined with contrast black. This mimbar is 2 meters high. The backyard was made a graveyard for the royal family and officials like the graves of the three Bedagai Kings, Tengku Ismail Sulung Laut, Tengku Rahmat Bendahara Putra Raja (the son of Sulung Laut) and Tengku Zainarrasyid Pangeran Nara Kelana (the son of Sulung Laut). Sulung Laut died on 21 March 1914, Tengku Rahmat on 2 December 1905 and Tengku Zainarrasyid on 12 October 1932. There are also the graves of the Royal officials and priests such as Datuk Perdana and Datuk Setia, the grave of Panglima Daud and Datuk Sri Amar Asmara as well as Syekh Haji Ibrahim. On the back part of the mosque, we can see the original face of the mosque because it doesn’t undergo the renovation, only its stalls are replaced. On the pillars, on the right and on the left side of the mosque are written the names of Allah and Mohammed. The terrace and the natural stones which become the terrace also look original. To see the photographs of this location, please click ‘Sergai in Photos’ content.